University of Lucknow or Lucknow University (LU) is a public state university based in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It was founded in 1867, Lucknow University is one of the oldest government-owned institutions of higher education in India.
History of Lucknow University
The idea of establishing a university at Lucknow was conceived by Raja Sir Mohammad Ali Mohammad Khan, Khan Bahadur, K.C.I.E. of Mahmudabad. He contributed an article in a then-popular newspaper, The Pioneer, making the foundation of a university at Lucknow.
Later, Sir Harcourt Butler was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of the United Provinces and was also made Mohammad Khan’s well-known interest in all matters, especially in educational matters.
First Step towards the foundation
The first step to bring the University into reality was taken when a General Committee of educationists and persons involved in university education appointed for the purpose, met in conference at Government House, Lucknow, on 10 November 1919. At this meeting, Sir Harcourt Butler, being the chairman of the committee, described the recommended scheme for the new university.
After an elaborate discussion, decided that Lucknow University should be a unitary, teaching, and residential University as recommended by the Calcutta University Mission, 1919, and should consist of Faculties of Arts, including Oriental Studies, Science, Medicine, Law, etc.
Formation of Committees
Six sub-committees were formed, five of them to consider questions connected with the university and one to consider the arrangements for providing Intermediate Education.
These sub-committees met during November and December 1919, and January 1920; and the reports of their meetings were laid before a second Conference of the General Committee at Lucknow on 26 January 1920; their proceedings were considered and discussed, and the reports of five of the sub-committees were, after certain amendments, confirmed. The question of incorporation of the Medical College in the university, however, was for the time being left open for further discussion.
Raja of Mahmudabad and Jahangirabad has announced Rs. one lakh each from the as the capital funds.
The resolutions of the first Conference together with the recommendations of the sub-committees as confirmed at the second Conference were laid before a meeting of the University of Allahabad on 12 March 1920. It was decided to appoint a sub-committee to consider them and report to the Senate.
The report of the sub-committee was considered at an extraordinary meeting of the Senate on 7 August 1920, at which the Chancellor presided, and the scheme was generally approved. In the meantime, the difficulty of incorporating the Medical College in the university had been removed.
Incorporation of Lucknow University
In April 1920, Mr. C.F. de la Fosse, the then Director of Public Instruction of the United Provinces, drew up a draft Bill for the establishment of Lucknow University which was introduced in the Legislative Council on 12 August 1920.
It was then transferred to a Select Committee which proposed several amendments, the most important being the liberalizing of the constitution of the various University bodies and the formation of a Faculty of Commerce.
This bill, in an amended form, was passed by the council on 8 October 1920. The Lucknow University Act, No. V of 1920, received the assent of the Lieutenant-Governor on 1 November, and of the Governor-General on 25 November 1920.
The Court of the university was constituted in March 1921 with the first meeting being held on 21 March 1921, at which the Chancellor presided. The other University authorities such as the Executive Council, the Academic Council, and Faculties came into existence in August and September 1921. Other Committees and Boards, both statutory and otherwise, were constituted in course of time.
Commencement of Teaching in Lucknow University
On 17 July 1921, the university began teaching—both formal and informal. Teaching in the Faculties of Arts, Science, Commerce, and Law was being done in the Canning College and teaching in the Faculty of Medicine in the King George’s Medical College and Hospital.
On 1 July 1922, Canning College was handed over to the University. Previous to this date- the buildings, equipment, staff, etc., belonging to the Canning College had been ungrudgingly placed at the disposal of the university for teaching and residence. The King George’s Medical College and the King George’s Hospital were given by the Government to the University on 1 March 1921.
Eventually, The King George’s Medical College (today’s King George’s Medical University), The Canning College, The Isabella Thoburn College gave structural as well as educational and administrational help for the establishment of the university.
2 thoughts on “History of Lucknow University – Public State University”